OT: Writing styles (was Re: [lug] Rather disturbing)

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Fri Feb 27 16:53:38 MST 2004

On Fri, 2004-02-27 at 07:17, Rob Nagler wrote:
> My publisher, O'Reilly doesn't like this style.  I have gotten into a
> lot of trouble with my book, because about half my technical reviewers
> don't like it.  They want more code up front.  There's a lot of code,
> but it's after the theory so it doesn't feel like a lot of code, I
> guess.

After reading your note, I think the issue for you is to find the right
publisher.  O'Reilly fits a nice niche between spoon-fed solutions and
the real thinkers.  Its a little of both, and there are definite needs
for those types of books (I use them quite a bit when learning something
new).

But if you, as an author, want to write detailed texts that explain why
things work before explaining how to make them work you need to find a
publisher of more technical works.  Verlag (I believe thats the name) is
one.  Addison-Wesley also does some like that.  Perhaps those that do
the technical manuals for OpenGL (can't remember the current publisher
for those).  PTR (Prentice Hall) and SAMS are the other end of the
spectrum - "get me going quick and I'll figure it out later" texts.
Having written for PTR, SAMS, and SSC (now done by No Starch Press) I
can understand your point of view.  But there are market niches in
publishing and, if you want to write the way you like, you just have to
find the right publisher.

Consumers, on the other hand, are mostly in the spoon fed category.
That's not a knock against what they want.  Its just a matter of dollars
vs happiness from a writers perspective.  Think of it like blockbuster
summer releases vs independent fall releases.  Then decide on where you
want your work to fall.

> My solution for the code-up-front readers is: read the book back to
> front.  You can do that pretty much, because the last chapter is an
> end-to-end example, and the last chapters dive into the techniques

Personally I think that solution is fine.  You just have to convince the
publisher that readers will, in general within their market segment,
also think that is fine.

> In summary, I agree with your sentiment, but I don't think that the
> publishing world agrees with it.  My guess is that most technologists
> want fast-food solutions, and the publishing world is writing books
> for them, not us.

That's very true.  But it doesn't mean you can't write the type of books
you want.  Writing is a business and it requires some market research to
target yourself.  But I still enjoy it (though I don't do as much lately
as I used to - may try to change that this year).

Just 2 cents from the peanut gallery.  :-)
--
Michael J. Hammel <mjhammel at graphics-muse.org>