[lug] grub confusion

D. Stimits stimits at comcast.net
Mon Mar 1 16:56:07 MST 2004

I'm trying to reinstall KRUD 9 on a machine that had a drive go bad, and
I have a completely new install there. It worked fine, until it is
actual boot time, and I get a GRUB error. The stage 1.5 error of "Error
16" appears to have more than one definition, depending on where I look
up/google. In one case (the case that is probably more correct) it says
that a device string was expected, but that the device string found did
not follow correct syntax rules. The other source says the filesystem
structure is inconsistent (probably correct if the string syntax is bad,
seeing as a non-existent device couldn't match any structure).

I've been going over grub.conf and trying over and over with variations
different syntax. The hard drive is partitioned as follows:
/dev/hda is sole hard drive, plus there is a cdrom.
/dev/hda1 is a primary ext2 partition with /boot/.
/dev/hda2 is an extended that covers the rest of the drive.
/dev/hda5 is swap, about 100 MB.
/dev/hda6 is root partition, consuming the remainder of the drive.

Can someone elaborate on this particular variation what is wrong?
default=0
timeout=15
splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
title KRUD9 (2.4.20-13.9)
	root (hd0,0)
	kernel /vmlinux-2.4.20-13.9 ro root=/dev/hda6
	initrd /initrd-2.4.20-13.9.img

NOTE: The kernel and initrd are found in /boot/, so (hd0,0)/vmlinux...
is correct for kernel and (hd0,0)/initrd... is correct for location of
initrd.

One thing that sticks out is that I switched from LABEL= syntax after I
failed to get any variation to work this way. FYI, how does one go about
viewing labels? tune2fs apparently only writes them, and does not read
labels. In the past I've tended to shift away from labels due to
multiple installs and hard-coded partition numbering being more clear
when it comes time to alter hardware.

Another variation is to have the "root (hd0,0)" as "root (hd0,5)" since
/dev/hda6 is the root partition. However, I'm not sure if the
extended/logical partition numbering counts hda6 and partition number 5
of hd0. Any suggestions?

D. Stimits, stimits AT comcast DOT net