[lug] apache and mod_proxy

Zulaware zulaware at comcast.net
Tue Mar 2 17:18:42 MST 2004

The only method I've been able to get to work reliably is mod_jk. What
is choking? Previous people here used rewrite rules, with some success
(see e.g. below), but I never was able to get it to work with the newer
JDK (1.4.x) and Tomcat (4.1.29). I'm not positive it's the newer
environment, since these servers are so hacked together it's a miracle
they still serve pages. Also, beware that Apache 1.3.26 which we use in
production seems to have mod_proxy built-in and permanently on, since I
can't turn it off via httpd.conf. Still seems hard to believe, but until
I can get a dev environment set up (yes, there is none) and clean things
up, we still serve about 100 random proxy requests per hour even though
"ProxyRequests off" is in httpd.conf

        RewriteRule     ^(.*\.jsp.*)$
http://localhost:8080/$1                [P,QSA,NE]

HTH,