[lug] grub confusion

D. Stimits stimits at comcast.net
Sat Mar 6 16:13:07 MST 2004

D. Stimits wrote:
> I'm trying to reinstall KRUD 9 on a machine that had a drive go bad, and
> I have a completely new install there. It worked fine, until it is
> actual boot time, and I get a GRUB error. The stage 1.5 error of "Error
> 16" appears to have more than one definition, depending on where I look
> up/google. In one case (the case that is probably more correct) it says
> that a device string was expected, but that the device string found did
> not follow correct syntax rules. The other source says the filesystem
> structure is inconsistent (probably correct if the string syntax is bad,
> seeing as a non-existent device couldn't match any structure).

Well to make a long story short, this motherboard is old, it is a P166.
And it was choosing a default hard drive mode of LBA. I had to go into
the BIOS and force the drive to NOT be LBA mode. It has auto and other
modes, ALL of which are aliases for LBA, except for 1. Grrr. The
grub.conf was just fine.

D. Stimits, stimits AT comcast DOT net

PS: The moral of the story, check LBA settings in BIOS if grub can't
detect the drive properly after an install...expect most modes to be
LBA32 and not normal.