[lug] ethernet card for suse 8.2 -- suggestions?

Andreas Boerner andreas.boerner at w84u.org
Mon Mar 8 09:19:49 MST 2004

On Sun, 7 Mar 2004 09:31:20 -0700
"Jim Vickroy" <jgv-home at comcast.net> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am new to Linux and wish to use my comcast cable modem service with suse 8.2 which is installed on a computer that was formerly running microsoft windows 98.
>
> What ethernet cards will work with suse v 8.2?
>
> An online search failed to provide information on which cards will work with linux and suse in particular.  I assume this is a concern because I can not get suse to work with the modem card in this computer.
>
> Thanks for your time.

you can do some diagnosis:

dmesg

look for eth0: ot eth1:

what kernel are you using? Maybe get a newer kernel (2.6.3)

cd /usr/src/linux
make menuconfig

select all appropriate options concerning network card support.

then make and install that kernel according to either lilo or grub.

Look at /ver/log/everything. Do you find anything interesting there?

A lot of cards are supported by Linux, all commonly used ones...

Have you used google to find problem reports regarding your card?

What kind of modem do you have? PCI or USB interface?

What does ifconfig say?

-- Andreas