[lug] Connection problems from Europe

Jeff Schroeder jeff at neobox.net
Thu Mar 11 09:23:39 MST 2004

Hey all--

I don't know what to make of this, so I figured I'd post a quick note to
the group to see if anyone is experiencing the same problem, or can
shed some light on what might be happening.

I'm running a few web sites out of Boulder, and from where I sit
everything looks fine.  However, some users in Europe are unable to
access the sites at all.  They can get to other sites in the world, and
they can even get to other sites on the *same* server... but it seems
like certain IP's are simply not working.

In particular, a user in England is able to see the site
http://test.sketchup.com (204.144.129.176).  However, he isn't able to
see http://www.sketchup.com (204.144.129.175) which is running on the
same server.

Another user in the Netherlands has the reverse situation: he can see
http://www.sketchup.com but not http://test.sketchup.com.

Both users can see http://www.bitrelay.net (204.144.129.168), which is
obviously on the same subnet but a different server.  And neither can
see http://www.doublearon.org (204.144.129.166), which is on that
server as well.  I should point out that both users are network-savvy
and are using different ISPs and OSes, so it's unlikely to be user
error.

All in all, there doesn't seem to be a pattern to the madness.  Several
other European users have the same problem, but in different
combinations.  Note that tests throughout the United States-- from CA
to NY-- indicate no problems whatsoever.  It's only these European
users having issues.

I can't help but think there's something odd going on with my firewall
(iptables, doing masquerading), but the firewall has been running
smoothly for years and hasn't been updated or otherwise changed
recently.

Does anyone have experience with random but consistent network problems
like this?  Is there anything I should try in order to eliminate
variables?

TIA,
Jeff