[lug] ethernet card for suse 8.2 -- suggestions?

Hugh Brown hugh at math.byu.edu
Fri Mar 12 18:52:20 MST 2004

On Sun, 2004-03-07 at 11:31, Jim Vickroy wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am new to Linux and wish to use my comcast cable modem service with
> suse 8.2 which is installed on a computer that was formerly running
> microsoft windows 98.
>
> What ethernet cards will work with suse v 8.2?
>
> An online search failed to provide information on which cards will
> work with linux and suse in particular.  I assume this is a concern
> because I can not get suse to work with the modem card in this
> computer.
>
> Thanks for your time.

I see that suse's hardware compatibility list was pointed out.  Some
general thoughts though.  It's been a long time since I've seen an
ethernet card that didn't work with linux (actually I had one where I
could only get it to work with linux and not windows).  So, I would look
at configuration issues first.  SuSE 8.2 is recent enough that it should
have detected the card fine which would mean that is time to configure
it.  Use yast2 to do the configuring.

If you would like to use SuSE, I suggest getting their most recent
version (9.0) to start from.

Also, most versions of linux come with a firewall which would be useful
to use if you are connecting directly to Comcast's network (instead of
connecting to a cable/dsl router/firewall).

Finally, after you do connect, you can use the Yast Online Update to
make sure your system is patched appropriately.

Good luck in your endeavors and check back if you have need of further
help.

Hugh