[lug] CRW Images?

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Sat Mar 13 10:52:46 MST 2004

On Sat, 2004-03-13 at 11:53, David Morris wrote:
> I recently bought a Canon EOS-10D digital camera, and am
> looking to do a bit of automation in my image
> processing...unfortunately, the raw image format canon uses
> is not an open standard so finding tools to handle it (or
> better yet a specification sheet) is a bit difficult.
>
> Any tools, libraries, or spec sheets (reverse engineering)
> for .crw and .thm files that anyone can recommend?

If you google for "Canon '.crw' '.thm' image file format" you'll see
that there are a number of tools out there that support it and some web
pages describing it.  Also, you can find this gem which supposedly
supports your exact camera model:

  http://www.cybercom.net/~dcoffin/dcraw/

> I'm also looking for a command-line tool that will change
> image sizes as well as file formats (e.g. 1600x1200 TIFF to
> 1024x768 JPEG).

See ImageMagick:

  http://www.imagemagick.org/

which is installed by default along with most major Linux distros (eg.
RH, SuSE, Mandrake, Debian, ...).

> Any suggestions on any/all of the above, or other lists I
> could join that are more applicable?  I'm also perfectly
> willing to do my own coding if specifications or libraries
> that are relevant can be found as I'm a software engineer by
> trade.

I've written fairly simple PERL scripts that did a fine job of
capturing, downloading, deleting, etc. literally thousands of images
from various cameras (mostly Kodaks connected with RS232 or USB to a
Linux machine) using gPhoto:

  http://www.gphoto.org/

and similar libraries.  If you'd like some help, I'll be happy to share
copies of my scripts.

Good luck with your camera adventures!

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
office:  MIT Dept. of EAPS;  Room 54-1424;  77 Massachusetts Ave.
email:   eh3 at mit.edu,  ed at eh3.com