[lug] modutils versioning for 2.6

D. Stimits stimits at comcast.net
Sun Mar 14 16:07:38 MST 2004

It seems like there are two versioning systems for modutils, and I'm
trying to figure out which to use for 2.6.3 kernels. If I go to the
Documentation/Changes file in the 2.6.3 source, I see this:
   module-init-tools   0.9.10    # depmod -V

Then if I go to kernel.org,
ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/rusty/modules/,
I see tarball versions in this range, e.g. 0.9.14. I also see some
version 3.0. Is 0.9.14 extremely old? There are also versions named
after 2.4.x, obviously not useful for 2.6.x.

Now if I want an rpm format, I go to rawhide, I would expect to see some
2.6.x versions of modutils, but see only 2.4.26 version.

Any recommendations on which is the proper modutils to use for a 2.6.3
kernel on KRUD/RH 9? I have to ask because I'm getting module build
errors and a message about my version of module-init-utils.

D. Stimits, stimits AT comcast DOT net