[lug] tcpdump, routing, ppp, and cable modem questions(s)

Ferdinand Schmid fschmid at archenergy.com
Mon Mar 15 12:09:56 MST 2004

Your assumption about DHCP is correct IIRC.  I don't know why I couldn't get
the modem to give me an IP address - but then my sample is one modem.  Comcast
was less than helpful when I called and stated that this would be my problem,
not theirs.

I do know, however, that my computer works with my own dhcp servers.  That's
what I use every day, no matter if I boot Linux (99.99% of the time) or the
few times per year that I boot WinXP.  With the Comcast modem I couldn't get
dhcp to work using either OS.

Ferdinand

--On Monday, March 15, 2004 10:23:07 AM -0700 Chip Atkinson <chip at rmpg.org>