[lug] a-a-p

Ian S. Nelson nelsonis at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 17 07:23:04 MST 2004

I know there are some fellow pythonistas in here.  I've been playing
with a-a-p (www.a-a-p.org) for the last 6 months, using it for as many
of my personal projects as I can.  Call me sick for playing with build
tools but this is an extremely cool program.  It's not often that I have
the desire to just spread the word but I want more people to use this
and I want it to become more popular.  It's make on steroids,  you can
use all of the expressive power of Python in your build scripts.  To do
things like conditional builds (production, debug, or profile) I've
always hacked together these ugly Bourne script infested Makefiles or
included a collection of tools to make the makefile functional; how do
you do build numbers with a makefile, I want every build to have it's
own number?   It also uses checksums or optionally dates for builds, so
you never get the time warnings when using two different machines.   Out
of the box it can create C and C++ dependencies with the default C and
C++ recipe code.

I've wanted something better than make for a long time but nothing seems
to have that balance of power vs. simplicity.  I want my builds to build
exactly how I want but I don't want to put Bourne shell script in my
makefiles any more than needed.  a-a-p let's you inherit build rules
from defaults if you want or roll your own.  And it's all in python.
Very very cool.  And there is real documentation!

just thought I'd share that,
Ian

--

*Ian S. Nelson