[lug] Locking Virtual Terminal

rm at fabula.de rm at fabula.de
Sun Mar 21 05:24:01 MST 2004

On Fri, Mar 19, 2004 at 08:22:44PM -0700, David Anselmi wrote:
> Stephen Queen wrote:
> [...]
> >>Interesting, but how is it different than logging out?  Obviously there
> >>are significant technical differences, but practically?
> >>

> >Sorry I didn't answer this yesterday.
> >
> >I had some programs running that would have stopped running if I closed
> >the terminal/logged out. It just felt easier to lock the terminal than
> >do anything else.
>
> You could also start them in the background with nohup, or background
> them and then disown them (in bash, of course).

Sorry to jump in so late: another possible solution would be 'atachtty'.
You can start the program with:

 $ detachtty --logfile /var/log/myprg.log --pid-file /var/run/myprog.pid \
    /var/run/myprog.socket myprog

Where 'myprog' is the program you need to run. Later on you can atach to
the running program/tty with:

 $ atachtty /var/run/myprog.socket

Basically the program pair allocates a pseudo terminal and binds a (unix)
socket to it (i think one can actually bind a TCP socket to it as well ;-)

> And there's always screen, which allows you to leave and then resume a
> session but won't tie up a vty in the meantime.

Yes, that's another wellworking solution.

 HTH Ralf Mattes