[lug] Ancient RH box hacked, which packages must be updated?

Bear Giles bgiles at coyotesong.com
Thu Mar 25 17:20:18 MST 2004

My company is in the process of migrating from an ancient RH
server to a current RHE or Debian box, but in the meanwhile
somebody has hacked our box.  Does anyone know which packages
*must* be updated because of known exploits, or should we consider
  it a lost cause and put all of our effort into migrating to the
new platform?

I'm not even sure which version of RH we're running - maybe 6?

BTW, what we're seeing is a rogue process masquerading as 'httpd'
that sits on port 17900 and a second random high port.

Bear