[lug] Ancient RH box hacked, which packages must be updated?

Daniel Miller dan.miller at usu.edu
Fri Mar 26 00:53:18 MST 2004

On Thu, 25 Mar 2004 17:20:18 -0700
Bear Giles <bgiles at coyotesong.com> wrote:

> My company is in the process of migrating from an ancient
> RH server to a current RHE or Debian box, but in the
> meanwhile somebody has hacked our box.  Does anyone know
> which packages *must* be updated because of known
> exploits, or should we consider
>   it a lost cause and put all of our effort into migrating
>   to the
> new platform?

Seems like the consensus on the list is for you to
reinstall/rebuild.  I can see that in most cases thats what
you would want to do, but there are certainly situations
where thats not a possibility (PRODUCTION SYSTEM).  It seems
that you are under this latter situation.

The only thing I can recommend would be getting the security
updates from Progeny.  I believe they are trustworthy enough
and know enough about Redhat distributions to make good
RPMS.  It is $5 per month per machine.  If this is only on
machine and you just need it for a few more weeks then maybe
its worth the $5.

Website: http://transition.progeny.com/

> I'm not even sure which version of RH we're running -
> maybe 6?

That service looks like it only covers RH 7.2, 7.3, and 8.0
on x86 only.  So you may be SOL for version 6.  I did a
couple searches with google on this as I remember there was
more then just progeny that was planing on providing
security updates at a price.  For the life of me I was
unable to find anyone else.  Maybe your search will turn up
more.

<Snip>

> Bear

Daniel Miller