[lug] Ancient RH box hacked, which packages must be updated?

Bill Gjestvang bill at uncultured.org
Fri Mar 26 10:57:26 MST 2004

Seems like a good time to suggest running a distro where you trust the
upgrade system enough to be able to put auto-updates into cron.  If you
don't trust the updates to run from cron, you could at least put in a
script that checks for updates and lets you know they're available.
Another good idea is to subscribe to the security announce list of any
distros you're using.
I'd say the 3 best (most basic?) ways to keep your systems secure are:
(1) Apply updates regularly.
(2) Disable services you aren't using.
(3) Use strong passwords, change them occaisionally, and don't send them
plaintext over the network.
Pretty much all my systems have daily updates running from cron.  For
servers, I've had great luck with Debian's apt-get, especially running the
stable version.  Even running testing or unstable, where the updates are
still pretty reliable, apt-get will generally complain rather than break
your system.
I've had mixed results with RedHat, particularly on desktop systems where
I'm pulling in a lot of 3rd party packages.  I had an official glibc
update not too long ago that I had to revert until I could straighten my
box out.
Anybody else have any auto-update or related experiences to share?

-Bill Gjestvang