printing [Re: [lug] April 8 BLUG talk idea]

Ferdinand Schmid fschmid at archenergy.com
Fri Mar 26 17:21:59 MST 2004

Configuring the printer has been trivial under SuSE for many years, no matter
if you wanted cups or lpd.  However, the print quality without turboprint is
nowhere near what you get on an inkjet under other operating systems.  My HP
deskjet 895c prints fine under standard CUPS but text doesn't look sharp and
the colors of photos are simply awful.  Even the completely free version of
turboprint makes a HUGE difference.  I even got excited enough about it to
spend the $30 (equivalent of an ink cartridge) to get photo paper and high
quality support.  This quality was pretty important to some of my family
members...  We actually print photos at home now :)

Ferdinand