[lug] [boulderjug] Special BJUG Meeting - April 15th with Grady Booch @ Fleming Law Building, Room #157 (fwd from: jzimmerman at bigskytechnology.com)

Evelyn Mitchell efm at tummy.com
Fri Apr 2 07:16:49 MST 2004

The idea of software archeology is made easier with open licenses.

Evelyn Mitchell

----- Forwarded message from Jay Zimmerman <jzimmerman at bigskytechnology.com> -----

To: <boulderjug at yahoogroups.com>
From: "Jay Zimmerman" <jzimmerman at bigskytechnology.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2004 03:42:30 -0700
Subject: [boulderjug] Special BJUG Meeting - April 15th with Grady Booch @ Fleming Law Building, Room #157
	HTML_FONT_BIG,HTML_MESSAGE,LINES_OF_YELLING autolearn=no version=2.63

BOULDER JAVA USER GROUP - APRIL 2004 MEETING

Join Us for a special BJUG meeting as we bring in Grady Booch to present Software Archeology.  We expect a capacity crowd so come early to insure seating and enjoy the Java KickStart Meeting from 6:00 - 7:00 PM.

We will also be raffling off some great prizes - books, SoftPro Gift Certificate and a free all access pass to the upcoming
Rocky Mountain Software Symposium on May 21-23rd.

7:30 - 9:00 PM Main Presentation
  Software Archeology
  by Grady Booch
  A back-of-the-envelope calculation suggests that, worldwide, about 300 million lines of new or modified code are written; cummulitively, since 1945, that yields just under one trillion lines of software. Contemporary systems are rarely greenfield, but rather represent adaptations, plagerism, and/or bridges among and within existing systems. In other words, the Java you are writing today will be tomorrow's legacy that someone will probably have to look at and understand.

  This presentation examines the activities and artifacts involved with software archeology. We'll also examine two on-going projects that are attempting to recover patterns from seminal systems: an effort with the Computer History Museum to preserve classic software, and an effort to build a handbook of software architecture.

  Writing tests doesn't have to be difficult or time-consuming. We'll explore 12 practical ways to start writing JUnit tests, and keep writing them, regardless of your development process. You'll be able to immediately apply these no-nonsense techniques toward improving your design and testing skills. In no time you'll be writing better code, and faster!

  Bio: One of the original developers of the Unified Modeling Language (UML), Grady Booch is recognized internationally for his innovative work on software architecture, modeling, and software engineering processes. A renowned visionary, he has devoted his life's work to improving the effectiveness of software developers worldwide. Grady served as Chief Scientist of Rational Software Corporation from 1980-2003, and continues to serve as principal architect and mentor of software development solutions within IBM Software Group.

----- End forwarded message -----

                            http://www.tummy.com/