[lug] Kernel Panic With Debian/2.4.6/GRUB

Dhruva B. Reddy bdhruva at gmx.net
Fri Apr 2 10:13:52 MST 2004

I just gutted my system (upgraded to a P4 2.8 on an Intel D865PERL mobo,
with SATA drive).  Now I can't seem to boot my new 2.6 kernel.

I installed Debian sarge, choosing the ext3 file system, which installed
a 2.4.25 kernel.  I installed the 2.6.4 kernel-source package and built
the kernel (and yes, I remembered to build ext3 support into the kernel).

When I try to boot, it complains that it can't mount my root partition
and the kernel panics.  It gives the partition as (hd0,1) and says to
set the "root" parameter to something valid.  However, in my GRUB config
file, the settings for the 2.6.4 kernel are identical to those for the
2.4.25 kernel, except that there is a "initrd" parameter for the 2.4.25
kernel.

I built the kernel "the Debian way" (make-kpkg clean kernel_image), then
installed the Debian package.

Can someone tell me what to look for?

Thanks,
-d