[lug] Kernel Panic With Debian/2.4.6/GRUB

Paul E Condon pecondon at peakpeak.com
Sat Apr 3 15:58:50 MST 2004

On Fri, Apr 02, 2004 at 06:19:04PM -0700, Bill Gjestvang wrote:
> Make sure that ext3 and ATA drive support are compiled into the kernel,
> not as modules.  With initrd, you can use modules for your root fs, so you
> may have been doing it like that before.
> -Bill Gjestvang
>
> Dhruva B. Reddy said:
> > I just gutted my system (upgraded to a P4 2.8 on an Intel D865PERL
> > mobo, with SATA drive).  Now I can't seem to boot my new 2.6 kernel.
> >
> > I installed Debian sarge, choosing the ext3 file system, which
> > installed a 2.4.25 kernel.  I installed the 2.6.4 kernel-source package
> > and built the kernel (and yes, I remembered to build ext3 support into
> > the kernel).
> >
> > When I try to boot, it complains that it can't mount my root partition
> > and the kernel panics.  It gives the partition as (hd0,1) and says to
> > set the "root" parameter to something valid.  However, in my GRUB
> > config file, the settings for the 2.6.4 kernel are identical to those
> > for the 2.4.25 kernel, except that there is a "initrd" parameter for
> > the 2.4.25 kernel.
> >
> > I built the kernel "the Debian way" (make-kpkg clean kernel_image),
> > then installed the Debian package.

I think you should have done something other than kernel-image. Kernel-image
does not build modules, I think. Look at man page carefully.

Also, even when upgrading across major versions, it is a good idea to cross
check your .config against the known, working .config, in your case the
.config of 2.4.25 kernel.

Luckily you can easily boot back into 2.4.25, because you did the install
the Debian way, I hope.

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon at peakpeak.com