[lug] DSL ISPs and More...

Matt Thompson thompsma at colorado.edu
Sat Apr 3 16:45:30 MST 2004

Long email follows, so caveat lector.

Being the glutton for punishment I am, I recently checked Qwest's site
and saw that they recently upgraded their DSL services.  Namely, the new
1.5 Mbps service for the same price as my current 640 kbps, and the new
wireless gateway from Actiontec.

First off, I ordered the new gateway.  I don't have any wireless
devices, but it was $2.00 a month cheaper to lease (I suppose I could
buy it).  It may only support one Ethernet port (it isn't a "hub" like
the current Actiontec), but my one computer is just right.  Plus, there
is the .11g to add-on to.

Now, a question, has anyone out there any experience with the new
gateway?  I'm running PPPoA, so I figure there shouldn't be any problems
wired, but I'm wondering how the wireless side works?  Good, awful?

Second, my current ISP (CU Boulder) doesn't support the new 1.5/896
service I can upgrade to, not good.  But it is free since I'm a student,
which is good.  That said, what ISPs would LUG members recommend if I
decided the extra bandwidth was worth the $25/mo or whatever ISPs charge
today?  I checked some of the usual suspects I could think of, like
Indra (who seems to support the new speed), but I figured BLUG would
steer me right.

Thanks for your time,
Matt
--