[lug] mkbootdisk -- no space left on device

David Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Fri Apr 9 12:46:37 MDT 2004

Brian Rodriguez wrote:
[...]
> You can read CDs with the ide-cd driver, but in order to use the writer
> features you have to use SCSI emulation. This involves adding
> "hdX=ide-scsi" for each device in lilo.conf, and adding a line in
> modules.conf to preload the ide-scsi driver before ide-cd can calim the
> devices.

Nonsense.  I burn CDs on my machine.  lilo.conf doesn't say anything
about ide-scsi.  That is an option to the various IDE drivers and
doesn't belong (IMHO) in the boot stanza (we are talking about modular
drivers).

[...]
> Another way of doing this safely is to copy the lilo.conf entry that you
> are currently using to a new entry, modify that one (but don't make it
> the default), select it manually on your next boot up and see if it
> works, and then make it the default once you have confirmed that it
> works. The modules.conf change shouldn't keep you from booting even if
> you screw it up.

That's a good point.  As long as lilo succeeds in writing a boot sector
with a known-good default stanza, you shouldn't have to worry about your
machine being unbootable.  Understanding "known-good" seems considerably
easier to me than building a boot disk (and Knoppix et. al. can probably
achieve what you want with less pain than you've had so far).

Dave