[lug] Samba: recheck password

Brian Rodriguez brianr01 at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 12 12:04:19 MDT 2004

I don't claim to be a Samba expert, but I have monkeyed around with the
kind of setup you're describing and there are a few things that come to
mind. First of all, are user A and user B logged into two different
windows accounts? In other words, when they access the samba server and
their windows machine identifies itself with a machine name and current
user name, will the samba server see two different users? Next, have you
set up a separate Linux login and samba login for each windows user? If
you use swat or webmin to do your samba administration I think there is
a pretty obvious option to create both Linux and samba accounts
everytime you add a user, and to keep their passwords in sync. If you're
  editing smb.conf by hand you'll need to research it. Also, make sure
that the /home/user shares are NOT accessible to the samba default guest
account or anyone can connect by trying to access them with an unknown
user name.

OOPS, I just re-read your e-mail and now I realize that it's not going
to work the way I was thinking because the usrers are NOT logging out. I
don't know if you can make Samba re-prompt each time because the windows
machine doesn't actually disconnect when you close the explorer window.
You have to go to Tools menu and explicitly select 'Disconnect network
drive' and force the connection to close. If each user presents a
different user name to the samba server then samba knows for sure which
share to select, but if you are only relying on unique passwords to
identify users, and they are not logging out in between, then you have a
problem. XP does allow you to switch users (sort of) without actually
closing programs in between, but that forces default security where
everyone can access everyone else's files, and 2000 doesn't have this
option. Can the programs that must be left running be configured as a
system service so that they don't depend on the user login?

Brian