[lug] Fedora Core 1 boot problems

Elyse M. Grasso emgrasso at data-raptors.com
Thu Apr 15 07:28:31 MDT 2004

On Wednesday 14 April 2004 01:34 pm, Elyse M. Grasso wrote:
> I recently upgraded my laptop from KRUD/Redhat 9 to KRUD Fedora core and I
am
> having a couple of annoying problems. Kernel  is 2.4.22-1.2174.nptl
>
> 1.  This machine has no floppy drive, and the boot messages do a lot of
> whining about it. Why is it looking for software modules it doesn't need?
> Is there an easy way to tell it not to do all of the floppy checking on
boot?

> 2. The modules.conf which has been happily setting up the alsa sound drivers
> for months is apparently no longer adequate. I have tried rebuilding the
> drivers I had, and also downloading the latest alsa drivers and neither
seems
> to work. Is there a specific version of alsa that is needed with Fedora Core
> 1? Is there some different magic needed in the modules.conf?
>
> Any hints or suggestions will be gratefully accepted.
>
> (Once I send this message I will, of course, suddenly think of Google search
> strings that will work better than the ones I have already tried.)

Well, I got the alsa drivers working (version 1.04). Hit with a bigger hammer
and rebuild...

It is very annoying that alsa rpms available via synaptic, etc. and supposedly
tuned for fedora 1 are in fact being distributed with broken driver modules
in them. Especially since the problem has apparently existed since RedHat 9.
Something to do with RedHat kernels not fully implementing workqueue, so a
bunch of symbols are left dangling.

One can hope that Core 2, which should have 2.6.x kernels and native alsa,
will not have this particular problem.

--
Elyse Grasso

http://www.data-raptors.com    Computers and Technology