[lug] cdrecord: Cannot open '/dev/pg*'

Lee Woodworth blug-mail at duboulder.com
Sat Apr 17 00:14:45 MDT 2004

On 16 Apr 2004 at 14:07, Gary Hodges wrote:

> Trying to get cdrecord going but I get the following error when I run
> "cdrecord -scanbus"

> Thought it might need the "append hdc=ide-scsi" fix.  Sarge installed
> with grub so I edited the /boot/menu.lst file with guidance from google
> to look like...
Looks ok to me, for grub I have:  kernel .... hda=ide-scsi
this is on Krud FC1

> At this point I'm mostly stuck.  I'll keep googling but maybe someone
> here has a suggestion.
cat /proc/scsi/scsi shows the recognized SCSI devices, eg.:
    Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
If the file empty your cd isn't recognized.

You can also check /proc/sys/dev/cdrom/info. If it has a column named sr0
then this is the first CD-ROM device. I have /dev/scd0 as the frist cd (krud fc1),
it might be /dev/sr0 on other distributions.

To see what cdrecord thinks the device is capable of do:
   cdrecord -checkdrive dev=0,0,0
Get the dev values from cdrecord -scanbus. Unless you have real SCSI
controllers and devices, 0,0,0 is probably the right spec

The -checkdrive output will tell you if cdrecord sees the drive and knows how
to use it.