[lug] Gmane?

Chris Riddoch chris-blug at syntacticsugar.org
Wed Apr 21 16:39:03 MDT 2004

Hi, everyone.

Someone just sent me a suggestion which seems fair to relay on to the
list for opinions before making a decision on it.

It's been proposed that we set up a Gmane mirror for the BLUG mailing
list.  Have a look at http://gmane.org/ to figure out what this could
do for us.

In short, it would provide a mail-to-news gateway and web archive for
our lists.  It'd replace our existing web archive of the mailing list,
which might or might not be a bad thing depending on how you feel
about it.  We can make the gateway unidirectional so that people still
have to be subscribed to the lists through Mailman on our server to
post to them.  Addresses in messages archived on Gmane can be
obfuscated so that spammers can't get them easily.

I don't have much of an opinion on this yet.  I'd like to hear
arguments pro/con first.  Got any?

--
epistemological humility
   - Chris Riddoch -