[lug] Question about Mesa Networks

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Wed Apr 21 21:03:58 MDT 2004

Paul E Condon wrote:

> I got to see pretty much all. I didn't climb up on the roof, but from
> on the ground it looked like there was an initial signal strength and
> pointing/visibility test. Followed by bolting the antenna in
> place. Then stringing the cable, followed by testing the Ethernet
> signal at the end of the cable that's inside the house. This lead to
> some delays which the installer attributed to a bad crimp in his
> cable-connector work. With that fixed, the system worked. My
> impression is that the real magic was done by Motorola in building a
> system in which bad crimps are the only problem that really requires
> human intervention. So far, I'm pretty happy.

Pretty neat what good engineering will do, eh?

I know some of the other wireless ISP folks use Trango Wireless gear,
and it's just as simple to use for the installers as you describe the
Mesa/Motorola gear to be.

Of course, the head-end gear requires a bit more brainpower, and some
good RF site planning and such.  And good bandwidth via a solid
back-haul system to the wired world.

Pretty amazing toys.

Nate Duehr, nate at natetech.com