[lug] SATA raid array

Matt Thompson thompsma at colorado.edu
Mon Apr 26 11:56:17 MDT 2004

On Mon, 2004-04-26 at 09:23, Ed Hill wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> Has anyone built their own Linux SATA raid array?  Do you have any
> pointers or comments to share?
>
> We're about to build a 2-4TB ATA-133 array here at work and are thinking
> about using SATA instead.  The SATA drives look pretty competitive on a
> speed/cost basis and our only real concern is the driver quality for
> SATA controllers with Linux.  Any recommendations would be appreciated.

I'm a little late to this (dang Fortran), and it's not quite what you're
asking about, but Tom's Hardware is running a story on SATA backplanes
that you might want to look at.  Don't know if you need a backplane or
not, but there you go:

http://www.tomshardware.com/storage/20040426/index.html

Looks like Adaptec makes a great 4-drive enclosure that unfortunately
requires purchase of their 4-port RAID card.  As I've never used an
Adaptec RAID card, I have no opinion on their Linux niceness.

--
Matt Thompson -- http://ucsub.colorado.edu/~thompsma/
440 UCB, Boulder, CO  80309-0440