[lug] Installation Guidance Request

Dean Vinke dean at vinkefamily.com
Thu Apr 29 14:55:37 MDT 2004

Brian Rodriguez wrote:

> Hi Charlie,
> if you DON'T need to keep Windows on the machine then it's very easy.
> The Mandrake install will offer to take over the entire hard drive for
> you, and you just say yes. If you need to keep windows, then you will
> also have the option of resizing the windows partition to make room for
> the Linux install. I'm not sure if the 9.0 release supported resizing
> NTFS partitions, but later versions do. By the way, Mandrake 10.0 came
> out fairly recently, and I could burn you copies of the CDs if you would
> like. It's the latest and greatest and is very nice. The Mandrake
> install is very easy and well suited to newbies.
>
> Brian

Hey Charlie,

Mandrake 8.1 comes with resizing of Windows partition software as a part
of the install so I would have to assume that 9.0 does as well.
Depending on the Windows version you have, I would HIGHLY recommend a
super clean defrag BEFORE you attempt to dual boot your machine.

Also, on the Mandrake website, there is all kinds of info for setting up
a dual boot machine.

Hope this helps,

Dean V.