[lug] [OT] Apache 1.3 vs. 2.0 on Linux

Dhruva B. Reddy bdhruva at gmx.net
Thu Apr 29 16:46:56 MDT 2004

My company is getting ready to migrate from IIS to Apache on RHEL 3.0.
Our websites are written in Java, and run on Tomcat (with the web server
serving static content).

I did some research a while ago which suggests that the main benefit of
Apache 2.0 is its multithreadedness.  I am under the impression that the
overhead of forking processes in Linux is relatively low, and therefore
2.0 doesn't buy you much (especially considering the maturity and module
support of 1.3).

I googled a bit for a debate on the two, but I couldn't really find
anything specific to Linux.

Has anyone heard anything/thought/discussed this?

Thanks,
-d