[lug] NIC loses config on reboot

D. Frye dafr at peakpeak.com
Fri Apr 30 16:23:11 MDT 2004

On Fri, Apr 30, 2004 at 03:53:30PM -0600, Tim Stephenson wrote:
} Thanks to the group and particularily Dave Anselmi for his right-on
} assessment of this problem I had with a NIC that would "lose" it's assigned
} static IP configuration on reboot. This was good information that may help
} someone else.
}
} Dave Anselmi wrote:
} I did some looking and found that one system I have is using:
}
} /etc/sysconfig/networking/profiles/default/ifcfg-eth0
}
} rather than:
}
} /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
}
} The former is used the the RH "network administration tool" according to the
} docs. I don't use that and somehow both config files on my system
}
} are the same. But maybe you need to check both of them.
}
} BTW, if you want to see what /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup is doing,
} you can add a "set -x" line at the top of it and it will show you
}
} just what files it uses. Look just below the line that says
}
} "need_config eth0".
}
} You can read the scripts that run at boot -- in this case the networking one
} in /etc/rc.d/init.d. You can see that it runs ifup on each interface
}
} (it just looks at the ifcfg-* files in the config dir). You can also read
} the ifup script (it's a script, not a binary like Debian's). So you can find
} the place that dhcpcd is run and what config file made that happen.
}
} Change the right config and voila.  Heck, even something like: find
} /etc/sysconfig/networking -type f | xargs grep -il dhcp is better than
} removing (and later reinstalling?) things. You could  also use eth0, or
} maybe BOOTPROTO in place of dhcp in that find.
}
} Tim Stephenson

This is consistent with what I learned from the person that taught the
RHCE class that I took. The word is that if you just once use the GUI
tool to configure an interface, it will forever ignore the original
files in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts. In fact, the statement was made
that if you even just *open* the tool, you may have problems.

The only way to recover from this is to remove all files under the
profile directory before the system will begin to use the network-scripts
files again.

Sorry that you had to go though this pain, but if I had been paying
better attention to my email, I might have been able to provide you the
information you needed earlier.

Cheers,

David

--