[lug] SATA raid array

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Sun May 2 20:46:24 MDT 2004

On Sun, 2004-05-02 at 22:29, Sean Reifschneider wrote:

> SATA for big RAID systems rocks my world!
>
>    http://journal.codeslinger.com/getentry.html?stamp=20030920_1858
>
> My journal entry above includes photos of a 1TB array that I built using
> SATA last year.  I used the 3ware SATA RAID boards, and they just work.
> The difficulty in cabling a 3TB array using regular ATA cables is going
> to make for a challenge.

Hi Sean,

Thanks for the comments!

In the past two weeks, I've heard nothing but good about the 3Ware RAID
cards (both SATA and PATA) so we bought one.  With it, I built a system
with 2.1TB (6 x 300GB) but its not working (won't POST) due to what
appears to be a bad MB.  I'm going to go swap it out tomorrow and see if
that gets it going.

I also built a 1.2TB box using a combo of on-board PATA and a cheap
HighPoint Raid card (HPT372A) and that seems to be working well so far.

We'll try a 3Ware SATA card next!

thanks again,
Ed

--