[lug] Installing Software Packages

Brian Rodriguez brianr01 at yahoo.com
Mon May 3 14:09:13 MDT 2004

Charlie,
the way to accomplish this in Mandrake is to let the system handle it.

Go the the menu in the lower left hand corner, select
Configuration->Packaging->Install Software, enter your root password
when prompted, and you will be presented with the software installation
dialog. You can then browse by category, or just type "OpenOffice" into
the search dialog and hit Search. You then simply select the packages
you want to install and the software manager handles prompting you for
the disks as needed.

The text mode version of this is even easier and faster. Open a terminal
window, "su -" to root, and type

urpmi OpenOffice.org

and you will be promtped for the necessary CDs.

All dependency checking is handled automatically in either method. TO
get a list of the OpenOffice related packages do

urpmi OpenOffice

and since this is not specific enough to select a single package, you
get a list of the possibilities.

By the way, did you ever get my response about the Mandrake 10 CDs? I
sent it directly to you instead of posting to this list and I was
wondering if it got dumped in your spam bucket.

Brian

-