[lug] Joining commands?

Hugh Brown hugh at math.byu.edu
Tue May 4 21:13:11 MDT 2004

On Fri, 2004-04-16 at 23:52, John Dollison wrote:
> Thank you, everyone, for your replies.  The suggestions worked well!  Now
> the only problem I have happens when I try to telnet into another computer
> on the network, and play sounds on the remote computer.  It works fine if
> both computers are logged in as the same user, or if I'm root, but I can't
> get it to work if the logins are different.  I keep getting told something
> like "/dev/audio cannot be opened: permission denied."  I realize that the
> audio device can handle only one stream at a time, but isn't there some way
> around this?
>
> John

I'm not sure about Solaris, but on Linux if someone is logged in on the
console, the permissions for a variety of devices get set to the uid of
whomever is logged in.  Hence, you logging in over the network w/o root
privileges will mean you always been denied access to those devices.

So, I'd expect that remote audio won't work unless you are root or
unless you force the permissions on /dev/audio to match your uid
(meaning others won't be able to use it) or you relax the permissions on
/dev/audio (which I don't really recommend).

Hugh