[lug] DSL modem recommendation (was Re: DSL ISPs and More...)

Matt Thompson thompsma at colorado.edu
Thu May 6 13:06:01 MDT 2004

On Thu, 2004-05-06 at 12:23, William D. Knoche wrote:
> So if one were to signup with Qwest for the new DSL service, which
> modem/router/gateway would one purchase?
> I am pretty sure I don't want to rent one from them.
> I don't want the Actiontec wireless and I do want an external
> standalone unit.
> Any preferences?
> Advice about vendors/products to avoid?

Uh..well, I think you hosed, then.  I think Qwest is only shipping the
Actiontec wireless with new DSL.  I could be wrong, though, and you
might be able to get them to send you an Actiontec 152x unit.  Those are
non-wireless, 4-port gateways.  But, they only rented those ($5/mo)
rather than allowing for purchase.  The new Actiontec wirelesses are for
purchase or rent ($70 (?) or $3/mo).

Other than that...you might have to hit eBay to find the old Cisco
units.  Finding the Actiontec's will be hard if they were never for
purchase.

Matt
--
Learning just means you were wrong and they were right. - Aram
   Matt Thompson -- http://ucsub.colorado.edu/~thompsma/