[lug] fonts for evolution/mozilla in debian sarge

David Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Thu May 6 14:38:08 MDT 2004

Hugh Brown wrote:
[...]
> What's the right/preferred way to configure X under Debian?  I ended up
> copying pieces of my Redhat XF86Config.

I usually just edit XF86Config by hand.  But the install scripts got it
pretty close to start with.

> What's the best way to get the full package name in dpkg -l output?  If
> it is dpkg-query -W --showformat, where's a list of the available field
> names?

I assume "full package name" means "name of the .deb file".  I can't
answer that but I've never cared -- apt et. al. take care of that for me.

> Why do the kde and kdenetwork packages have ksirc as a dependency?  I
> was surprised that apt-get remove was ready to throw out kde and
> kdenetwork as a result of trying to remove ksirc.

kde is a package that depends on "all things kde".  kdenetwork is a
package that depends on "all kde networking things".  That makes it easy
to install the lot all at once.  You can remove kde and kdenetwork
without removing any other packages.

That might be easier using dselect or aptitude than with apt.  Don't use
apt, it doesn't tell you enough about what it will/won't do for
dependencies.  Don't use dselect either, it's difficult to pick up and
isn't as capable as aptitude.

Aptitude rocks!  I used dselect for a long time because there's a
beginners HOWTO in Debian's docs.  But aptitude will mark things that
are installed because of dependencies (rather than because you selected
it) and then it can remove them when they are no longer needed.  It also
shows you reverse dependencies (if I remove this, what will break) which
is nice (and I don't think any rpm tools do this yet but correct me if
I'm wrong).

Being a curses app it may take a little getting used to, but it's the
best package manager I've found so far.

> Right now the fonts in evolution and mozilla firefox under KDE are small
> and unappealing.

I recently got that problem on upgrading to KDE 3.2.  Don't know why,
Google didn't seem to know.  But a workaround is detailed here:

Basically you get your own stylesheet to adjust the UI settings.

HTH,
Dave