[lug] Type1 font installation? And KWord formats

Elyse M. Grasso emgrasso at data-raptors.com
Fri May 7 08:01:23 MDT 2004

I own legal copies of a bunch of Adobe fonts as well as fonts from some other
foundries. I have just noticed that they are not currently installed or
accessible on my current Linux laptop, and it's been a few years since I
loaded them all onto the previous machine. (I've also installed every font
package available in my distribution, and I don't think I'm seeing them all.)

Is there a concise document of the steps needed to make them usable by Gnome,
KDE, OpenOffice, and ghostscript, and any other major apps that may be stupid
about using the standard font installation?

I'm using KRUD/Fedora1, KDE (as much as possible) and OpenOffice.

On a slightly related note: since the latest upgrades, KWord seems to be able
to read MS Word doc format, but not write them. This is a major pain, since
the people I interact with expect me to be able to update doc files they send
me and return them in the same format. I am now being forced into OpenOffice
more than I really prefer. Does anyone know if there is there some obscure
config setting that got changed, that I can change back?

(Is this yet another example of RedHat configuring KDE stuff in broken ways?
Should I switch to Mandrake when my current KRUD subscription runs out?)
--
Elyse Grasso

http://www.data-raptors.com    Computers and Technology
http://www.astraltrading.com   Divination and Science Fiction