[lug] SIGTERM on boot

Hugh Brown hugh at math.byu.edu
Sun May 9 20:38:32 MDT 2004

On Fri, 2004-05-07 at 13:14, Zulaware wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> I'm trying to get a RH7.3 box to start up three instances of tomcat and
> apache on boot  up. I've done this on several machines already, but on
> this particular one, all four processes seem to start up, then get a
> SIGTERM (according to apache/tomcat logs) and shut down. If I start them
> by running the /etc/rc3.d/ scripts, they all start up fine and persist,
> but when I reboot, there is nothing.
>
> Any ideas what would be terminating these or how I can track it down?
> There is nothing in /var/log/messages. Everything that seems pertinent
> in the root environment look OK
>
> Thanks,
>
> Michael Wegener

In addition to the logger statements, I've always add 5-10 second sleeps
in the tomcat start up scripts so that things are truly started by the
time they run.  You can also do a search for debug= in the server.xml
and up the debugging output to see if you get any more useful
information.

I'd also make sure that all instances of tomcat are listening on
different ports/interfaces.

Hugh