[lug] SCSI weirdness

Alberto Squassabia asquassabia at yahoo.com
Tue May 11 23:01:14 MDT 2004

Hi there.  Some wisdom on the following issue is
welcome.

A SCSI tower has nine LVD Wide SCSI devices, ID are
0,1,2,3,4,5,6,8,9.  The disks are SCA devices, mounted
with 9 SCA-to-68 adapters. All except 3 are recognized
by the controller.  3 is really flaky, sometimes it
works, sometimes it does not.  I replaced the spindle
with a new one.  Same behavior.  I replaced the SCA
adapter with a new one.  Same behavior.  I unplugged
the ribbon cable from the SCA adapter, and made a
jumper with a spare ribbon from the external female
end to the SCA adapter, connecting to the female of
the spare ribbon.  Same behavior.  Any ideas?

Incidentally, the controller (a DAC960PL1 Mylex) seems
puzzled that there are more than 8 devices (when
3 works, that is).  Is there some magic about at most
8 devices on the bus?

Ah, well.

Alberto.