[lug] Type1 font installation? And KWord formats

The Matt thompsma at colorado.edu
Wed May 12 17:16:14 MDT 2004

On Wed, 2004-05-12 at 13:38, Elyse M. Grasso wrote:
> The answer to my original question appears to be that there is no one document
> that addresses all of the major users of fonts.
>
> The linuxdocs how-to file apparently predates xft, so following the
> instructions there seems to make the fonts available to X and OpenOffice, but
> not to KDE and Gnome. The info on xft is not readily available by googling
> with reasonable search terms.

Well, getting Gnome to see fonts (and I guess KDE) is usually pretty
easy, if they are TTFs.  For this you use fc-cache.  It works with user
and root.  I usually put my fonts in /usr/share/fonts and an:

# fc-cache -fv /usr/share/fonts

should do it.  If you are a user, I suggest putting the fonts in
~/.fonts (always caught by fc-cache).  Then a:

$ fc-cache -fv

will catch it.  Then it usually takes a minute or so for these fonts to
appear in fonts:///, or whatever.

> The info from the how-to on ghostscript does not refer to paths that are
> present in a fedora installation. Is there a way to ask ghostscript what
> fonts it knows about? What is the best way to add a new directory of fonts to
> the ones GhostScript knows about?

Well, gs -h should show your search path.  Frankly, I just add fonts to
a directory in that.  It'll pick it up and I don't have to muck with GS
configuration.  I usually shove them in /usr/share/fonts/default/Type1

Matt

--
I am a theoretical chemist.  Fear me!
 Matt Thompson -- http://ucsub.colorado.edu/~thompsma/