[lug] updating php on apache

John Starkey lug at breezedev.com
Thu May 13 16:38:21 MDT 2004

On Thu, 2004-05-13 at 09:12, D. Stimits wrote:
> I was wanting to use some png generation functionality not available in
> my current php 4.1.2-7.3.6 on RH/KRUD 7.3 with apache 1.3.27-4.
> Apparently I can patch, or update to PHP 4.3+. Can anyone tell me what
> will break, or how cleanly and upgrade to php 4.3 will be from php 4.1?
> I'm trying to avoid anything that would leave the server inoperable for
> very long.

register_globals is off by default now, so you'll have to turn that on
until you migrate to using the $_GET or $_POST arrays.

gif support is read-only in 4.3, due to copyright. That should change in
June, or so, when gif is public domain internationally.

You'll probably need to upgrade/install libpng.

I don't think any regular functions have been dropped between then and
now.

I'm using 4.3 and beta 5 on CLI, Apache 1.3.x and 2.x and I haven't had
any problems other than finding the correct libraries when compiling.

It looks like you're using the RPM, so you can probably just rpm it. Of
course keep a backup of the libphp4.so so that you can go back to it if
needed.

John