[lug] KDE windows rolling up

Timothy Klein teece at silverklein.net
Thu May 13 19:32:13 MDT 2004

On Thursday 13 May 2004 07:10 pm, Elyse M. Grasso wrote:
> Using KRUD/Fedora 1, KDE
>
> Every once in while one of my windows will get into a mode where it insists
> on rolling up into the title bar whenever the mouse moves away from it.
> It's usually a window that I am switching back an forth to frequently, and
> usually the one that I most want to keep visible for reference.
>
> Does anyone know whether this is behavior that someone thought would be
> kewl? Or is it just a bug?
>
> If this is a feature. Is there a way to configure things so it won't
> happen? Ever.

The window has become shaded (ie, rolled up so that only the title bar is
visible.)  This seems to be a common X window manager feature.  Usually one
shades it by double-clicking the title bar.  Somewhere along the way, KDE
decided to add an auto-unshade feature.  So that when you mouse over your
shaded window, it automatically unshades.  Mouse away, and it re-shades.  You
can make it stop by double clicking on the title bar.  It won't be obvious
that you have done anything, but that is what makes it stop  (You need to
unshade the window, but since KDE is temporarily and automatically unshading
it, it does not seem to do anything when you double-click the title bar.  But
if you mouse away, the window will remain unshaded if you have seceded).
Slightly annoying behavior to me, but I guess somebody likes it.

You can also disable this in the KDE Control Panel, under Window Behavior,
under the Advanced tab.  'Enable Hover' needs to be unchecked, for it to go
away.  Also, you can change what a double click on the title bar does under
the Actions tab.

HTH

Tim
== Timothy Klein || teece at silverklein.net
== Vanity Page: http://tinyurl.com/vkhp
== Hello_World.c: 17 Errors, 31 Warnings...