[lug] Sun Client Redhat AS3 NFS Probs

Jeffrey A. St. Pierre Jasp2 at Colorado.EDU
Mon May 17 10:15:07 MDT 2004

On Sun, 16 May 2004, Hugh Brown wrote:

> > > Have you tried to rebuild the quota files?
> > >

> > There are no quotas setup, why should I have to rebuild the quota
> > files?  Of course, Ie only used quotas on Sun systems in the
> > past, is there a big difference moving to Linux?
> >
> > -Jeff
>
> chances are the sun and the linux clients are trying to follow quota
> restrictions, talk to rquotad on the server, rquotad can't reply with
> the quota info and outputs an error to syslog.
>
> so, you can probably take care of your errors by either turning off
> rquotad or by setting up the quota files.
>
> Hugh

OK, so you are telling me that every exported filesystem requires
a quota file?  So I have three choices 1. to turn rquotad off 2.
put every single exported filesystem under quota control, or 3.
deal with errors

To me that would seem like a massive oversight in whoever wrote
'quota'.  I mean, what if I only want quotas on my home
directories but not my project directories?  Anyway... let's give
it a try.  Odds are you guys know more than I do about this
stuff.

Edit /etc/fstab on the server and remount the exported
filesystems... just out of curiosity we'll run 'quota -v' on the
client before we actually setup the quota file...  Oooo.  We have
a new error message:

May 17 09:32:03 <server> rpc.rquotad: Quota file not found or
has wrong format.  That's interesting.

Now let's setup the quota files:

-bash <server:~> sudo quotacheck -acug

and now run 'quota -v' on the client again and... bingo! no
errors.  Boy, y'all do know what you are talking about (wink).

Thanks much to everyone who gave me input on this.  However, I
still feel this is a bit of a bug.  If there are no quotas setup
for a particular filesystem, doesn't it make more sense for the
daemon to just ignore the request for that filesystem, rather
than filling the messeges file with ambiguous errors? I mean
'rpc.rquotad: Can't find filesystem mountpoint for directory
/export/rd02/diag' seems unrelated to the actual problem.  If
it insists on giving an error, don't you think 'No quota files
for filesystem /mnt/filesystem' would be a better error
message? Do you think I should report this to the developers?

Anyway... Mucho Gracias, Merci Beaucoup, Aregato gosaimashta, and
for the strict Anglophones... Many Thanks

-Jeff