[lug] Sun Client Redhat AS3 NFS Probs

D. Stimits stimits at comcast.net
Tue May 18 14:12:51 MDT 2004

>>Don't make sense to me, and I'm not convinced quotas are a facet
>>of security.  I think it is better classified as a facet of
>>controling the users, which may have security issues.

Any denial of service is security. Such denials can be intentional, or
through stupidity of a user...in one case you prosecute, in the other,
you shrug and bang your head on a wall. Someone sending an email on
purpose with a virus for Outlook is intentional, the guy who opens it
blindly even though it looks suspicious is frustrating. I think any
partition that is critical to operation of the system or to operation by
other users is a security matter if anyone non-root can intentionally
disable it remotely. Security isn't 100% about malice. I suppose you
could say controlling users is not security, but sometimes remote
filesystems are compromised and then you will be sorry if you have no
quotas.

D. Stimits, stimits AT comcast DOT net