[lug] Live disk attach?

rm at fabula.de rm at fabula.de
Wed May 19 12:29:12 MDT 2004

On Wed, May 19, 2004 at 11:23:27AM -0700, Jeffrey Siegal wrote:
> Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> >William> Two Questions.  1) I am trying to do some hard drive
> >William> debugging on a live running Linux system.  I am attaching an
> >William> unknown drive to the second channel of my SCSI controller and
> >William> powering it up.  It there a way for the OS to re-scan for the
> >William> new device without rebooting?  My intention is to run fdisk
> >William> and mkfs and perform various integrity checks on many
> >William> different drives without rebooting each time.
> >
> >       echo "scsi add-single-device a b c d" > /proc/scsi/scsi
>

> You should really get some hot-swap SCSI connectors (kind of hard to
> find but not very expensive).  Otherwise, although the risk is pretty
> low, you may end up with hardware damage by doing this.

Wise advice! I've seen complete motherboards fired up after "hotplug'n"
with a normal SCSI cable (unfortunately just after i walked into the
room saying ".... you know, you really aren't supposed to do that  ..."
Boy did i get angry looks -/

I've an external SCSI tower with hot-swappable disk cages for these kinds
of operations. There are even IDE boxes that have hot-swap cages.

 RalfD