[lug] Linux Journal article about software radio

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Fri May 21 17:59:37 MDT 2004

Wayde's analysis of software radio is really good.

Some other comments I would add:

1. Currently the components to build in mass quantity still favor
traditional radios.  Software radio is marginalized by its price.  This
will continue to change over time, but right now the DSP's needed to do
a large bandwidth software radio are still too expensive for much mass
production.  Most of the early "software radios" you see today are
actually hybrids... some of the filtering and other RF blocks in the
block diagram are still done the old-fashioned hardware way.

2. Cognitive radio is VERY hotly debated.  One camp says they're the
nirvana of radio -- radios that will figure out what frequencies and
power levels to use automatically.  Another camp says that our
traditional regulatory spectrum management will be thrown out the window
and interference complaints (imagine a bunch of software radios ship
with bad code in the DSP) will be a nightmare.

3. Like in many other areas of research, Linux and the whole GNU
software radio project seem to have come about because Linux is open,
and the people doing the research needed a common platform they could
develop on easily.  The system is free, the toolchain is robust and
mature, and generally -- I find that part really neat.  But...

4. As SDR matures in the future, software-defined radio will probably be
done in embedded hardware.  Linux will become marginalized as
manufacturers start hiding their specific software "secrets" inside the
black boxes.

The math background required to really contribute is a large barrier to
entry to this space.  And the math will be hidden in proprietary DSP
code soon.  My opinion anyway.

There's also a regulatory storm on the horizon when groups really start
pushing for the cognitive radio systems -- and traditional trunking and
cellular companies will probably want to protect their investments in
infrastructure and will have a lot of clout with the FCC.

(Anyone with a lot of money has clout with them these days it seems.
Broadband over Powerlines is a horribly-engineered and very problematic
technology, but the FCC is cowtowing to it thus far.  One commissioner
going so far to say that it's "broadband nirvana".  Yeah, right...
whatever.)

Nate Duehr, nate at natetech.com