[lug] [Fwd: "El-Yacoubi, Mounim" <Yacoubi at parascript.com>]

D. Stimits stimits at comcast.net
Fri May 21 15:19:46 MDT 2004

Ken Weinert wrote:
> I've forwarded this email to the proper list - please subscribe and join
> us. This is definately the correct group to ask questions like in.
>
> Good Luck.

> From:
> "El-Yacoubi, Mounim" <Yacoubi at parascript.com>
> Date:
> Thu, 20 May 2004 11:54:49 -0600
> To:
> <info at lug.boulder.co.us>
>
> To:
> <info at lug.boulder.co.us>
>

> Hi there,
>
> I came across your website and found it very interesting.
>
> I am located in Boulder and I have a question about installing Linux. I hope it's ok to ask here this kind of questions.
>

> I tried recently to install, at home, Redhat 9.0 on a second hard disk (the first one contains Windows 2000). Everything went fine until I tried to start the computer after the successful installation. Then all I got was the prompt "grub>" or "Li" (depending on which booat loader I chose during  the installation). I heard there's a problem for Linux regarding disk geometry, but all my attempts to fix the problem didn't work.
>
> Thanks for any advice.
>
> Mounim

Disk geometry won't be a problem unless you are using terribly old
hardware from days before hard drives were larger than 640 MB (roughly
speaking).

You have to realize that in order for any boot loader to transfer
control to something provided on a hard drive, it has to be able to read
that hard drive. Not understanding disk geometry would do this, but more
often it is because of lack of access to a proper driver for the drive
controller or for the filesystem type. If the driver for the filesystem
type or for the controller are on the hard drive, then you have a
chicken-and-egg dilemma...how do you read the driver without knowing how
to read the disk that has the driver? One would have to know more about
your hardware and installation to give advice, such as how old the
motherboard is, if it is too old, is it pentium? Which distribution of
linux (e.g.,  redhat, KRUD, mandrake, debian)?

Now on some BIOS systems, the part that initially reads the drive and
the boot sectors, there are settings for support of large disks through
LBA mode (logical block addressing), versus non-LBA. If the installation
assumed one mode, but in reality the BIOS setup is in the other mode,
this will cause failure. You need to be cautious about changing this
mode though if existing data and Win 2k are of value to you, as a change
would make what already works fail. If such things do not matter, you
can simply tell the BIOS to try to force LBA or to force not LBA, and
try both ways. If it does matter, then during installation you need to
pay attention at the start of the install when it asks about
partitioning and filesystems...this is when it might offer LBA options.
Let's say one option is a default and you went with that...you could
reinstall linux after choosing the opposite of whatever you chose before.

IMHO, you should join the BLUG list, lots of valuable info on a timely
basis, low on spam.

D. Stimits, stimits AT comcast DOT net