[lug] scanning

Ken Weinert mc at quarter-flash.com
Sun May 23 07:25:18 MDT 2004

Once again, my hardware has outsmarted me.

I now have 2 scanners, neither of which I can use, but at least I can see one of
them under certain circumstances.

I have yet to even be able to see the scanner on the HP PSC 750xi (printing
works fine) which is connected via USB.

When I run sane-find-scanner -p as root it can see the other one:

found possible Mustek parallel port scanner at "parport0"

  # Your Mustek parallel port scanner was detected.

I've read the sane-mustek_pp man page and, as far as I can tell, done the setup
correctly. I believe the issue with getting xsane to use this scanner is the
passing of parameters when I start the program.

I'm unclear, I guess, on what actually to pass xsane - some of this confusion is
because I don't have a parport0 device (at least not as /dev/parport0) so I'm
not sure how sane-find-scanner told me it found the scanner there (it is the
correct place, mind you, I'm just not sure how it came up with that :)

Any hints or advice would be greatly appreciated. It appears as if pointers to
documentation that has words of one syllable or less are needed.

Ken Weinert  mc at quarter-flash.com