[lug] Did Linus really not write Linux?

Charlie Rose ros5e at ISAaC.com
Wed May 26 09:52:17 MDT 2004

At 2004-05-25:17:32, you wrote:
>All I could think about while reading this thread was that I've plugged in
>a toaster oven or two in my time that didn't have any labels thanking
>Edison for his work on AC power.  Of course, when we really deeply review
>history we find that Edison was building a monopoly -- similar to a
>certain company we all have come to love to hate.

Nate .... I'm with you about keeping in mind the legacy of benefits we've
inherited from those who have gone before. For instance, I always celebrate
Isaac Newton's birthday on December 25th because he was one of the greatest
contributors. Just one comment about Edison, however ... he wasn't
interested in AC power. That was developed, essentially from scratch, by
Nicola Tesla, and further pushed by Westinghouse. Edison was anti-AC, hot
for DC, and used to electrocute dogs in Central Park (I think it was) using
high-voltage AC to demonstrate to onlookers (potential customers) the
dangers of that form of power. He was careful, naturally, not to fry any
dogs using DC.

Both Edison and Tesla created some wonderful things. Edison pulled some
shady tricks on Tesla, and Tesla was brilliant and absolute nuts!

Charlie Rose               FAX: 303-545-6674
Innovative Scientific Analysis and Computing
P.O. Box 1636, Boulder, Colorado, 80306-1636

Web Site:                 <http://www.ISAaC.com>
My PGP Public Key:
<http://pgpkeys.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xF57617F9>