[lug] OT power line communication

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Fri May 28 12:43:57 MDT 2004

VERY political.  And I'm very sorry to post this to the list, but it
seems there are a few people at least, interested in the topic.  It's
techy enough, but hardly linux related... hmmm... apologies.

One opposing viewpoint that *has* done their technical homework (unlike
the manufacturers and the companies that want to use the technology) is at:

http://www.arrl.org/tis/info/HTML/plc

For the executive summary:

"Radio amateurs are not opposed to broadband services. On the contrary,
they tend to be early adopters of new technology. However, there are
ways to deliver broadband that do not pollute the radio spectrum as
Broadband over Power Line (BPL) does. These include fiber-to-the-home,
cable, DSL, and wireless broadband. The ARRL--The National Association
for Amateur Radio-- is supportive of broadband access for all Americans;
however, it opposes the use of BPL as a solution to achieving this goal."

Recently, a friend and the former chairman of the Colorado Council of
Amateur Radio Clubs recently contacted his rural power CoOp out in his
East-Central Colorado hometown to see if they were going to deploy BPL.
The answer was interesting.

Remembering that the promise of BPL is SUPPOSEDLY that ALL Americans
would have broadband, take these comments into account:

His Co-Op says they are not interested in building, or worse, supporting
a broadband  Internet infrastructure in the slightest, and in their
recent meetings with most of the other Colorado rural electric Co-Ops,
the other operators are not either... thus... the only power companies
who really have the staff level and desire to do BPL are the big
commercial ones, who service...

Metro Areas.

It's probably not fair of me to assume this, but I'll assume many rural
co-ops in other States feel similarly.  Thus... my correlary statement:
Broadband over Power Lines will only get used in Metropolitan areas or
areas serviced by only the largest electric companies who have the
density and size to afford a network engineering and support staff.

Now... if that's true, my feeling is that we already have plenty of
competition in broadband (some of it still growing and forming) in most
Metro and suburban-Metro areas.  All BPL will do is move toward two things:

1. Spectrum mismangement and interference (the legacy of this
Administration and their current Commission)

2. More competition in a market (metro broadband) where other companies
are already moving to fill in the gaps with wireless technology.  Many
small companies have already filled in most of the area surrounding the
Denver Metro area with broadband wireless services (and it only took
about 3 years total time) and big cellular carriers are starting to
spend money on their infrastructure again to provide reasonbly fast
broadband connections through their networks.

(Hint: Keep an eye on Nextel... they're due to be the next to turn up
another 3rd-generation system, and they've learned from other's mistakes...)

Nate Duehr, nate at natetech.com - Amateur Radio Station WY0X
Support Amateur Radio!