R e: [lug] Did Linus really not write Linux?

rm at fabula.de rm at fabula.de
Mon May 31 06:48:42 MDT 2004

On Mon, May 31, 2004 at 02:32:12AM -0600, Daniel Miller wrote:
> On Sat, 22 May 2004 15:18:12 -0600
> Timothy Klein <teece at silverklein.net> wrote:
>
> <snip>
> >
> > Agenda Filter:  Isn't Andy Tannenbaum the author of Minix
> > (the first competetion to Linux),
>
> [...]
>
> You'll have to back this up with come newsgroup postings or
> mailing list postings.  Its definitely possible that
> Teannenbaum wrote those things, I just need some proof (Not
> much of a believer in faith).
>
> > If it's the same guy, he's an ass that is too full of
> > himself.  He drowns out his good points out in
> > know-it-all-ness.  He also was a wee bit wrong on his
> > early assessments of Linux, and the direction of OS design
> > in general.
> >

> He is considered by many in the academic world to be one of
> the foremost experts on OS design.  Can you really disregard
> his expertise and philosophies based on a little debate that
> he had with Linux over 10 years ago?  I'm not saying either
> Linux or Tennenbaum are correct about kernel design, just
> that it seems very ignorant to disregard someones thoughts
> and call them an ass.

Yes, he's written some pretty good books on OS design. I'd be
very cautious to claim he's ignorant. Also, the fact that Linux
has been ported to a lot of hardware platforms doesn't mean that
its early design made this easy (a more portable design would
have helped a lot). Since most Linux users (still) are PC-
users the problematic bits aren't too well known, but they are
there (and it took quite a long time to clean up the most
ugly areas: have a look at console/IO for example).

> [...]

> Daniel Miller
>
> P.S. Don't worry I haven't forgotten who are fearless kernel
> creator is.  I still pay him respect.  I am not a Linus
> playa hater.
>
> P.S.S I was too lazy to go look up how Tennenbaum is spelled
> if you didn't notice.

 Ralf Mattes

P.S: the first one (Tannenbaum, Andrew S.) is correct ;-)